family · motherhood, babyfood, review, mom, moms, momblog, mommyblogger · parenting, parents · Postpartum

Kaiden’s Birthing Story – Lori


I went into labor the day after Thanksgiving Day 2011. I can remember sitting on the couch around 10pm trying to eat leftovers from the day before. Yes, I say trying to because every time that I would lift the fork up to my mouth I immediately put it back down because I felt nauseous. I had been having contractions throughout the day and started to become uncomfortable. I was getting really upset because I wanted to eat that food so bad! I realized that this nauseous feeling that I felt would come and go. Having never been pregnant before I kept questioning myself, “Could this be it?” I was two weeks away from my due date, so I said to myself that this couldn’t be it. I had just gone to the doctors two days ago and my doctor said that I was 0 cm and 70% effaced. I figured that I still had time.

So I decided to start Googling about labor on my cellphone. I had already read about it plenty of times before this, but I just needed reassurance that this wasn’t what I was starting to think it could be. As I was reading I started to time my contractions just to be on the safe side. Some would come three minutes apart and then ten minutes apart. I realized that this really could be it because the pain did not stop no matter what I did. I called my husband who was in the next room from my cell phone. I was just in too much pain to move. He said that we needed to call the doctor. However, I was still in denial. So he called both of our moms and the doctor and everyone said go to the hospital.

Once we got there, we went straight to Labor and Delivery. The on call doctor came to check how many centimeters dilated I was and I was at 6 cm! We couldn’t believe it! The doctor also said that I was 100% effaced. Next, they took me to the room where I was to deliver. My husband called both of our families to let them know that I was in labor. By this time it was about 12am. Seems like a little bit after that people from my family started to pop into my room. I must admit I kind of wanted to kick everyone out. The only people that I wanted to stay was my husband and my mom. I felt like everyone was just standing there watching me go through all of this pain, while they were talking and cracking jokes. It was about an hour or two later before I was checked again. This time I was at 9cm. Within this time I had also received an epidural. This made my legs numb, which felt good because I didn’t even know that I was having contractions anymore. Everyone told me when I was having them by looking at the monitors. All of the doctors and nurses were surprised at how well I was handling the contractions before I even got the epidural. I would just close my eyes and breathe. I probably could have gone without the epidural. But, I was tired of the contractions and I didn’t know how much longer they would last.

Eventually, I was at 10 cm dilated and started to push. However, the baby was not coming down the birth canal far enough. They tried another position where I got on my hands and knees to try and let the baby come down and then push with my contractions. I could feel the baby moving down, but by then the doctor said that it would be best to have a c-section.

I was very disappointed because I wanted to experience a vaginal birth, but I just dealt with it because I wanted to see my son. Getting a c-section was scary because it is a major surgery. During my pregnancy I didn’t read really anything about c-sections because I just knew that I wasn’t going to have one. So we went to the operating room and they gave me more medicine. All I felt was tugging, pulling and a burning sensation. It was a bit uncomfortable. But at the same time it was amazing. I couldn’t believe that my son was minutes away from being here.

When he came out, I could see him to my right and I heard him cry. I would have probably cried too if I wasn’t so worried about what else they were doing to my stomach. My husband bought my son over to me. I said, “Hi!” and gave him kisses on his cheek.


Once they put my staples in I went back into a recovery room. They bought my son to me and I breastfed him. I was in the hospital for four days after this. I couldn’t do many things with my son for weeks after because I was in a lot of pain. I mainly just breastfed him. This made me really sad. However, I am so thankful for my husband because he really stepped up and handled everything for those weeks that I could not.

Even though I did not expect to have a c-section. I do not regret it. It is an experience that I will never forget. It was my experience of how my beautiful little boy arrived in this world.  

By: Lori



2 thoughts on “Kaiden’s Birthing Story – Lori

  1. Hey! Shout out from a fellow C-section Mommy! All that matters is that they get here, not how, right? At least that’s what I try to tell myself when it stings a little thinking about how my body didn’t deliver (no pun intended)! 🙂


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s