Cheesy Quinoa “& Friends”
The second recipe I am going to share with you a came up with on a whim and it has been a go to for lunches and dinners (especially when my daughter isn’t feeling whatever I made for dinner that night). It is full of protein and I am able to sneak in lots of veggies into it and it tastes so good that my daughter eats the whole thing every time…score!
What you will need:
- 1 cup of quinoa (rinsed & cooked to package instructions) * I add a teaspoon or so of either coconut oil or olive oil to the boiling water, I find it gives the quinoa a more velvety texture
- Slice of cheese (any cheese will do, although I usually use cheddar)
- ¼ of an avocado (½ an avocado if your little one loves them as much as mine does!)
- Shredded Chicken (optional)
- Whatever Veggies you have on hand! (our go to is broccoli, kale and carrots)
Cook quinoa according to package instructions. Add desired amount of quinoa into a bowl, add cheese and mix together until the cheese starts melting (you can add as much or as little cheese to this as you want, a find a slice or if I am using a block of cheese 3-4 small slices is perfect). Then add avocado, shredded chicken (if using) and whatever veggies you have on hand and that’s it!
The beauty of this meal besides that it is healthy and that it takes minimal time to prepare is that the texture resembles mac n’ cheese. However the base is quinoa instead of macaroni and it is loaded with protein, healthy fats and veggies!
I hope you try these recipes with your little ones and that they enjoy them as much as my daughter does! My advice to parents with picky eaters is to hang in there! It can definitely get frustrating when your child rejects a meal that you spent time preparing for them and it can also make you worry that they are not getting the adequate amount of nutrients. However if you find foods that your little one likes, find ways to make them healthier and incorporate (or sneak haha) the good stuff into those meals. So that way mealtime is less of a stress and is more enjoyable!
Etsy Shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/olivianoeldesigns