Karlie’s Birthing Story – Lori


Two days before I went into labor I wanted to have my baby so bad. I had been having contractions all day, but they weren’t coming close enough. My husband and I took a lot of walks outside to try and get the contractions to pick up the pace. Since the contractions still didn’t let up by the evening we decided to go to the hospital.

When the doctor checked me he said that I was 2 cm dilated and a -3 station, so it wasn’t time yet. The doctor advised me that since I was trying for a VBAC that I should wait and come back once my contractions were stronger and about 3-4 minutes apart.

Boy, was I disappointed. I went home and continued to walk a lot. I just didn’t know what to do with myself. I was so ready to meet my daughter.

Soon enough I would get my wish because on May 8th at 6:30 am I woke up with contractions. I started to time them and they were coming about 10 minutes apart. I called my mom to come to watch my son because I figured that it was probably time for the baby to come. My husband and I started to get ready to go and I was taking my time because my contractions were still only 10 minutes apart. However, they kept getting stronger, which made it harder for me to get myself together.

Once I did I eventually made it downstairs. It was hard because every time a contraction came I had to stop whatever it is that I was doing because it was so painful. I was sitting on the couch when a really bad contraction came and I heard a “pop” noise, which was immediately followed by warm fluid leaking down my pants. My water had broke and I started to panic. The water came nonstop. For some reason, I didn’t even look. I was in so much pain that I felt better just keeping my eyes closed. I remember telling my husband to call 911 because I thought the baby was going to come right then and there.

The car ride to the hospital was really bad for me and for my husband. I was biting and scratching his shoulder. I am usually so good with pain, but I had never felt pain like this before.

I had to be taken in a wheelchair from the parking lot up to Labor and Delivery. When the on call doctor came in to check me he said that I was completely dilated. Within a few minutes, my ob-gyn came and told me that it was time to push. I would push and then stop because I felt like I couldn’t breathe. My doctor said that the baby’s heartbeat was starting to decline and that is when I pushed and kept pushing and she came right on out.

She was born at 8:53 am. They immediately put my daughter on me. My eyes were still closed for awhile because I couldn’t believe that she was actually here and that I had a vaginal birth after having a c-section with my son. I did not have an epidural or any tears, which I was very happy about. It was unbelievable how fast everything went and I was able to go home with her the very next morning.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s