My husband and I were planning our first family vacation to Myrtle Beach, SC when my son was 1 ½ years old. We knew that we would be doing a lot of walking while there and did not want to use the stroller often. Therefore, a few days before we left for our trip we went to Babies R’ Us to look for a baby carrier. There were many options, however, my husband felt that the Chicco Smart Support Backpack was a carrier that he would feel comfortable wearing. I agreed with him since I planned on letting him wear it the most anyway. (haha) It really did turn out to be a great choice. Everywhere we went with this backpack people would look and smile. Most of the time people would say to us, “Great idea!” or ask where we bought it from.
- It is to be used for children who weigh 17-40 lbs or approximately 6-36 months.
- It is intended to support and grow with your child, therefore it has a 3 position, height adjustable seat.
- This Chicco Smart Support backpack is freestanding, which I absolutely loved. It makes it easier to take the child in and out. It also makes for a nice little seat for them when you are out. My kids tended to fall asleep in it during our outings, so I liked that they could sleep comfortably in the backpack.
- The frame is lightweight and weighs 6.5 lbs. The straps are padded and equipped with energy-absorbing lumbar padding, which keeps you cool while wearing. We took this out on many hot days and we did not get hot or irritated from the Chicco backpack.
- The only thing that I can think of that may be bothersome is that you might need assistance when putting the backpack on. I think it is easier if you have someone to pick up the backpack with the child in it and you just slip your arms through the straps. However, if you do not have anyone to assist you then you can still manage. I used to set the carrier with my child inside up on a table, which is also where the freestanding feature comes in handy and then slip my arms through.
My overall experience
I love this backpack! I have a small frame and I am still able to carry this backpack with ease. I think it definitely supports you and your child well. Both of my children preferred this over their stroller. They were able to have a different view of their location from being up higher on our backs and still move around. I think they also enjoyed being closer to mommy and daddy while sightseeing. I would definitely recommend this to anyone that enjoys taking walks, hiking or just does not like maneuvering a stroller through a crowded area.